The Social Welfare Training Institute (SWTI) was initially established as Child Welfare in 1963 for capacity building. Keeping in view the need for training on basic concepts and techniques of social welfare as considered imperative both for professional and voluntary social workers. It was subsequently renamed as Child Welfare and In-service Training Institute during the year 1966 - 67 with assistance of United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA) and (UNICEF). It is presently known as Social Welfare Training Institute.
Mission of the Institute
The envisaged mission of SWTI is “to provide high quality training services in a conducive learning environment to the staff of the Social Welfare Department of Government of the Punjab and other voluntary professionals of various NGOs operating in the province through high quality and knowledgeable trainers using cutting edge teaching material, interactive methodology and latest training techniques in order to position the institute as a center of excellence in the field of its training specialty”.
Social Welfare Training Institute (SWTI) aims to utilize local resources both in persons and maternal for the welfare of masses. The institute is fully funded by the Government of Punjab.
The organizational objectives are:
- To organize, pre-service and in-service training courses including collaborative activities/ trainings for the officers and officials of Social Welfare, Bait-ul-Maal Department and Community Development Workers/ Child Care Workers
- To organize training of trainers in special fields
- To organize basic and regular courses for functionaries of the department working in Urban/ Rural/ Community Development Projects as well as those associated with NGOs
- To arrange short term workshops and seminars to upgrade the knowledge of seniors, mid-level and junior professional officers and officials of the department
- To organize regular orientation courses for managers, administrators, policy makers, planners, supervisors and representatives of NGOs to improve their work place performance
Pre-service and In-service Trainings
The institute arranges for pre and in-service training for the officers and officials of Social Welfare and Bait-ul-Maal Department.
The institute holds short training courses in the following fields:
- Laws related to Social Welfare Department
- Financial Management, Administration/ Public Accounts
- Administrative Rules and Policies
- Community Development
- Concepts and Intervention of Women Development
- Children Related Issues
- Office Management
- Working of Social Welfare Department
- Planning and Development
- Public Sector Management
- Computer Application
Training of Trainers
Institute also organizes trainings for trainers in different fields to enhance their abilities.
Workshop and Seminar
Short term workshops and seminars to upgrade the knowledge of seniors, mid-level and junior professional officers and officials are also arranged by the institute.
Institute also arranges regular orientation courses for managers, administrators, policy makers, planners, supervisors and representative of NGOs to improve their performance.
Annual Training Plan
Training program is arranged according to annual training plan, which is revised and approved every year.
There is a team of master trainers in SWTI who have expertise in different fields. The resource persons from other training institutes/ fields are also invited for the training of the staff.
Social Welfare Training Institute provides the boarding and lodging facilities to the trainees during training course (if required).
The institute consists of an administrative, training and hostel block other than that a library, computer lab and auditorium is also present in the institution.